Libya - Nato - 
Article published the Thursday 09 June 2011 - Latest update : Thursday 09 June 2011

Kadhafi used rape as weapon of war, Moreno-Ocampo claims

International Criminal Court chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo
Reuters

By RFI

Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi ordered mass rapes and gave troops Viagra-type drugs to encourage sex attacks, International Criminal Court chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo claimed Wednesday.

The chief prosecutor may ask for a new charge of mass rape to be made against Kadhafi, he said.

Moreno-Ocampo is expecting a decision soon from judges on his request for charges of crimes against humanity to be laid against the Libyan leader, his son Seif al-Islam and intelligence chief Abdullah al-Sanussi.

THE BATTLE FOR LIBYA

There are reports of hundreds of women being attacked in some areas of Libya, Moreno-Ocampo said. He claimed Kadhafi’s forces were buying containers of "Viagra-type" medicines “to enhance the possibility to rape women".

Kadhafi's regime had not previously been known for using rape as a weapon against political opponents and Moreno-Ocampo said he had to find evidence that the Libyan leader had given the order.

In March, Libyan woman, Iman al-Obeidi, made international headlines when she entered a Tripoli hotel and said she had been raped by Kadhafi troops. After escaping to Qatar she was deported to rebel-held Libya and is now resting at a refugee centre in Romania.

The Libyan government does not recognise the international court's jurisdiction.

Other developments include:

  • Loud explosions were heard in Tripoli late Wednesday, regime spokesperson Mussa Ibrahim claimed Nato dropped more thatn 60 bombs on the capital, killing 31 people and causing dozens of injuries;
  • Up to 3,000 Kadhafi troops attacked the third-largest city, Misrata, from the south, west and east, rebels said, killing 12 people and wounding 33;
  • Two dozen countries are represented in at talks on Libya in the United Arab Emirates on Thursday after Nato extended its operation for 90 days;
  • US Defence Secretary Robert Gates pressed Spain, Turkey and the Netherlands to take part in air strikes and Germany and Poland to join the military operations at a Nato meeting Wednesday, with US military chief Admiral Michael Mullen admitted that the campaign was making “very slow progress”;
  • China said it would welcome a visit from representatives of the rebel National Transitional Council “in the near future”, with officials describing the situation as “untenable” and calling for a ceasefire.
     

tags: International Criminal Court - Libya - Luis Moreno-Ocampo - Moamer Kadhafi - Rape - Sexual assault - Viagra
Related articles
Comments (2)

Kadafhi

Moamar is dead he go raped out his ass and got shot while wearing his sunglasses

The "political rape" charge in this case makes no sense

The past history of American wars tells us that, when the war-going begins to get tough, the professional P.R campaigns get going, often with wholly invented stories. For example, when in 1990 Defense Secretary Colin Powell was expressing doubts that the United States should attack Kuwait, stories appeared that, as revealed by classified satellite photos, Saddam had amassed 265,000 troops and 1500 tanks at the edge of the Saudi Arabian border. Powell then changed his mind, and the attack proceeded. But after the invasion a reporter from the St. Petersburg Times viewed satellite photos from a commercial satellite, and “she saw no sign of a quarter of a million troops or their tanks.”
Hawks in Congress, notably Tom Lantos and Stephen Solarz, secured support for the attack on Iraq with a story from a 15-year-old girl, that she had seen Kuwaiti infants snatched from their incubators by Iraqi soldiers. The story was discredited when it was learned that the girl, the daughter of the Saudi ambassador in Washington, might not have visited the hospital at all. She had been prepped on her story by the P.R firm Hill & Knowlton, which had a contract for $11.5 million from the Kuwaiti government.
The history of American foreign interventions is littered with such false stories, from the “Remember the Maine” campaign of the Hearst press in 1898, to the false stories of a North Vietnamese attack on U.S. destroyers in the so-called Second Tonkin Gulf incident of August 4, 1964. We know furthermore that in their Operation Northwoods documents, the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff in 1962 proposed a series of ways, some of them lethal, to deceive the American people in order to engineer a war against Cuba.
Since the fiasco of the false Iraqi stories in 1990-91, these stories have tended to be floated by foreign sources, usually European. This was conspicuously the case with the forged yellowcake documents from Italy underlying Bush’s misleading reference to Iraq in his 2003 State of the Union address. But it was true also of the false stories linking Saddam Hussein to the celebrated anthrax letters of 2001. (Their anthrax was later determined to have come from a U.S. biowarfare laboratory.)
This recurring history of falsified stories to justify interventions should be on our minds as we now face the allegations that Gaddafi has been using rape as a method to fight insurrection, and may have been guilty of raping victims himself. This reminds us of the sorry record of the U.S. mainstream media in circulating past false stories to justify war. It is painful to say this, but virtually every major U.S. military intervention since Korea has been accompanied by false stories.
As an African country, Libya can hardly expect a fair hearing or any form of justice from the ICC. The International Criminal Court created with high hopes of international justice in 2002 has been used against 7 African countries. The ICC has never examined U.S. drone attacks on defenseless civilians in at least 8 African, Arab and South Asian countries. Nor has it even touched U.S. invasions and occupations. Israeli bombing of the Palestinian people is "off limits".
This is an essential time to remind all people concerned about the rights of women that U.S. intervention or any imperialist intervention has never protected women. Even women serving within the U.S. military machine are not "safe". According to a study published by the Journal of Military Medicine, 71 per cent of women soldiers have been sexually assaulted or raped while serving in the U.S. military. Women who have been assaulted consistently report poor medical treatment, lack of counseling, incomplete criminal investigations and threats of punishment for reporting the assaults. In 2009 the Pentagon admitted that approximately 80 per cent of rapes are never reported - making it the most under-documented crime in the military. In addition U.S. military bases are all too often surrounded by an entire sex industry of abused women forced by hunger, dislocation and lost families into work in bars and clubs.
Rape in every society has little connection to sexuality and desire. It has always been about imposing power and domination.
The "political rape" charge in this case makes no sense and has no basis beyond the U.S.-NATO desire to justify expanding the war against Libya.

React to this article
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Close