Family to sue after boy dies from eating bad burgers
The parents of a French teenager who died after eating bad hamburgers are suing the restaurant chain which served him the contaminated food, their lawyer said on Tuesday. Benjamin Orset, 14, from the south of France, died hours after eating in the Quick fast-food restaurant in Avignon.
The teenager became ill after he ate two burgers on the evening of 21 January. The next morning he fell into a coma, and died shortly afterwards.
The autopsy report concluded that his death was caused by food poisoning.
Staphylococcus aureus bacteria were found in Orset's stomach, as well as in five restaurant employees and on the kitchen floor.
Quick has not officially accepted responsibility for the death, and insists that all its ingredients and production methods are safe.
The Avignon restaurant was closed following Orset's death, but reopened for business this weekend.
Quick says the branch, which was operated by a franchise holder at the time of the incident, is now under central management.
The franchisee also operated two other Quick restaurants, which have since been taken over.