France - Syria - 
Article published the Sunday 14 July 2013 - Latest update : Sunday 14 July 2013

Two French journalists abducted in Syria are alive: Defence Minister

French journalists Didier François and Edouard Elias.
French journalists Didier François and Edouard Elias.
RFI/Olivier Fourt/AFP/Chris Huby/Haytham

By RFI

The French Defence Minister says two French journalists who were abducted in Syria in June are alive.

Didier François, a correspondent for radio station Europe 1, and freelance photographer Edouard Elias were captured by armed men en route to Aleppo in early June.

Speaking on Sunday, French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said the pair is still alive and that “all efforts are being made so that the conditions for their release could be put in place as soon as possible.”

“I am also thinking of other French hostages,” he added. But “in the interest of everyone, in particular to these two [the journalists in Syria], I can’t say anything more.”

Last week, a group of journalists and supporters renewed a public campaign to call for the two journalists’ release.

In addition to the two journalists, five French citizens remain in captivity in North Africa, along with a Frenchman in Mali and another Frenchman in Nigeria.

tags: France - France and the world - Hostages - Jean-Yves Le Drian - Journalists - Kidnapping - Syria
Related articles
React to the article
Commentez cette article en tapant votre message dans la zone de texte. Le nombre de caractères est limité à 1500 ou moins.
(0) Réactions
Close